The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to City Spaces (Writers Helping Writers #5) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 5 in the Writers Helping Writers series.
- #2: The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws (Writers Helping Writers #2) (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes (Writers Helping Writers #3) (Paperback): $17.99
- #4: The Rural Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Personal and Natural Places (Writers Helping Writers #4) (Paperback): $21.59
Making readers care and feel like they're part of the story should be the number one goal for all writers. Ironically, many storytellers fail to maximize one of fiction's most powerful elements to achieve this: the setting. Not only can the right location become a conduit for emotion, it can also provide conflict, characterize the story's cast, reveal significant backstory, and trigger the reader's own emotional memories through sensory details and deep point of view.
Inside The Urban Thesaurus, you'll find:
- A list of the sights, smells, tastes, textures, and sounds for over 120 urban settings
- Possible sources of conflict for each location to help you brainstorm ways to naturally complicate matters for your characters
- Advice on how to make every piece of description count so you can maintain the right pace and keep readers engaged
- Tips on utilizing the five senses to encourage readers to more fully experience each moment by triggering their own emotional memories
- Information on how to use the setting to characterize a story's cast through personalization and emotional values while using emotional triggers to steer their decisions
- A review of specific challenges that arise when writing urban locations, along with common descriptive pitfalls that should be avoided
- Downloadable tools to help you plan each setting so you can choose the right one for a scene, providing the biggest storytelling punch
The Urban Setting Thesaurus helps you tailor each setting to your characters while creating a realistic, textured world readers will long to return to, even after the book closes.
About the Author
Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi are bestselling authors, writing coaches, and international speakers. Their books are available in five languages, are sourced by US universities, and are used by novelists, screenwriters, editors, and psychologists around the world. Angela and Becca also co-founded their popular Writers Helping Writers site, a hub where authors can hone their craft, as well as One Stop for Writers, an innovative online library built to help writers elevate their storytelling.