Tales of East Africa: (African Folklore Book for Teens and Adults, Illustrated Stories and Literature from Africa) (Traditional Tales) (Hardcover)
In Stock - Please Allow Processing Time
Tales of East Africa is a collection of 22 traditional tales from Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania.
Welcome to a world of magical adventure—a place where a boy spares the life of a fearsome monster, a flock of doves brings a girl back from the dead, and a hare wreaks havoc among all the other animals.
Translated and transcribed by folklorists and anthropologists in the early 20th century, these stories evoke the distinctive beauty and irresistible humor of East African folklore.
• The tales come alive alongside bold, contemporary art in this special illustrated edition.
• Each story transports readers to an enthralling world.
• Part of the popular Tales series, featuring Tales of Japan, Celtic Tales, and Tales of India
Tales of East Africa will enthrall fans of fairytales and captivate those interested in East Africa's rich history and culture.
Readers will encounter mischievous animals, plucky heroes and heroines, and monsters, and artist Jamilla Okubo pairs each tale with a bold and vibrant illustration.
• A visually gorgeous book that will be at home on the shelf or on the coffee table.
• A perfect gift for fairy tale and folklore lovers, fans of East African culture, people of East African ancestry, collectors of illustrated classics, adults and teens alike, and bibliophiles
• Add it to the collection of books like The Girl Who Married a Lion: and Other Tales from Africa by Alexander McCall Smith, Favorite African Folktales by Nelson Mandela, and Indaba My Children: African Folktales by Vusamazulu Credo Mutwa
About the Author
Jamilla Okubo uses mixed media art to explore her American, Kenyan, and Trinidadian identity. She is based in Washington, DC.